The Oakland Climate Change Action Coalition (OCAC) is hiring a part-time communications coordinator. Applications due 2/9 Please see below for more info and share widely!
The Oakland Climate Action Coalition (OCAC) is a cross-sector climate justice collaboration striving to lead Oakland’s response to climate change through sustainable, equitable, community-based economic development. We are an alliance of community, labor, faith-based, social justice, and environmental groups that includes some 30 organizations that work with communities most impacted by climate change to create a more resilient Oakland where all residents can survive and thrive. By championing creative, transformative solutions to the economic and climate challenges of the city, the OCAC seeks to improve the health and wealth of Oakland’s communities.
OCAC seeks an on-going part-time contract Communications Coordinator to oversee internal OCAC communications, publish a monthly newsletter, and create content for our website. The Communications Coordinator will work with OCAC staff, Steering Committee, project committees, and member organizations to create a monthly email newsletter. This newsletter would highlight actions related to climate justice in Oakland, shining a spotlight on the work of the OCAC, its member organizations, and projects. This content would be reflected in internal communications and the OCAC web site.
This position is estimated at 10 hours/week at a pay range of $15-18/hour. This is a great opportunity for an entry-level person to learn about local social, environmental and climate justice issues in Oakland and get to know the activists involved.
- Research, write, design, and post/publish monthly email newsletter for Oakland Climate Action Coalition.
- Stay informed on local issues related to community climate resilience, local economies, food, water and land use, renewable energy, and anti-displacement efforts.
- Work with the Staff and Steering Committee to publish the newsletter
- Commitment to social and economic justice
- Journalistic and newsletter design skills
- Experience or strong interest in climate action, community organizing, relationship building, and effective communication across a diverse spectrum of individuals
- Ability to work independently and also with many stakeholders
- Record of working successfully with diverse communities, coalitions, and across social movements
- Bilingual preferred.
Applications are due electronically to Christina Medina Martin Christina@oaklandclimateaction.org, by February 9, 2016. Please include “OCAC Communications Coordinator” in the subject line and provide the following:
- Cover letter describing interest in the position, qualifications etc
- Writing Sample that illustrates non-technical and non-academic communications skills
- Three references
Women, people of color, queer, and gender non-conforming people are strongly encouraged to apply.