Kehilla Community Synagogue seeks a warm, passionate and motivated individual with superb communications and administrative experience to join our collaborative staff and engaged congregation. Position is open immediately
Who We Are
Kehilla Synagogue is a dynamic Jewish Renewal congregation rooted in deep Jewish spirituality and audacious social justice organizing. Founded 35 years ago by progressive Jews seeking a Jewish spiritual home, Kehilla has blossomed into a 430-household congregation that is a leading progressive voice in the Jewish community and a passionate Jewish voice in the progressive world. We are a participatory, musical, celebratory and democratic congregation of all ages, identities and family constellations that organizes for peace and racial, economic and environmental justice.
The Program and Communications Manager is a trusted partner who is integral to the successful operation of our synagogue. The successful candidate will work with our staff and congregants to implement and support our impressive diversity of programs, classes and services and will be a key to effectively communicating with our members, potential members and people from the broader Jewish and progressive communities about our programs. The position requires someone to be comfortable working with a ride range of people, managing many programs and activities simultaneously and handling a variety, and sometimes changing set of priorities.
- Program and Event Coordination – spearhead logistical coordination of High Holidays and other holiday events, special events, synagogue programs and services.
- Member Cultivation and Volunteer Coordination – develop and maintain supportive relationships with member, manage membership database and recruit and manage synagogue volunteers for projects and events.
- Communications and Marketing: manage all congregant communications, including constant contact emails, flyers and our monthly newsletter, as well as maintaining our website information and our social media pages and campaigns.
- Synagogue Calendar – manage the synagogue, building and spiritual life calendars.
You are perfect for this position if
- You enjoy people and have good ‘people skills’
- You love making systems work
- You are tech savvy
- You have top-notch time management and project management skills
- You can laugh when things get stressful
- You get something done if it’s yours to do, and get it done on time
- You are seriously well organized
- You take initiative, but are also comfortable asking for help
- You are flexible and can also keep a lot of plates in the air at once
- You like to work independently and as part of a collaborative team
- You are a good listener and like communicating with lots of kinds of people
- You have a creative eye
- You like working hard and want to have a good time while you are doing it
- You want to work for an organization that cares about treating people well and affecting the world for the better
Experience and Qualifications
- Extensive administrative experience; detail-oriented with good organizational skills
- Experience in project and event organizing
- Strong ability to manage calendars, learn and use database systems and organize information; proficiency in Word, Excel, Google Suite, Constant Contact, and Word Press
- Experience with communications and marketing
- Strong problem-solving instincts
- Excellent verbal, written and telephone communication skills
- A Bachelor of Arts or comparable college degree
- Experience with Jewish culture and community
- Experience in the non-profit sector
Reporting and Working Relationships
The Program and Communications Manager reports to the Executive Director, functions as part of the synagogue’s Administrative Team and collaborates with the clergy and education staff.
This position requires that one have the ability to comfortably use a keyboard and mouse. Must be able to sit in room with compact fluorescence or LED lighting. Must be able to access three floors comfortably.
This position is 80%-100% FTE, negotiable. Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include prorated health and dental insurance, vacation, holidays and retirement/403(b).
Please send detailed cover letter stating why you are a great candidate for this position and your resume to Executive Director Michael Saxe-Taller at firstname.lastname@example.org.