This class is designed to help you better appreciate the meaning and poetry of the Hebew that we enjoy at Kehilla’s services. (Special emphasis will be on Saturday morning services and Friday night Kabbalat Shabbat services.)
Each class will explore one or two prayers/songs or phrases, including:
- a context for the prayer (Bracha will explain why she loves it)
- a voice recording reading the Hebrew slowly;
- a grammar sheet explaining the meaning of the word as well as some easy grammatical insights;
- a recording of a song version so we can sing along.
The class will be recorded and made available to registered students for use in the following week.
During each class there will be time for students to ask any questions they have (at ANY level and on any subject related to Hebrew).
This class is for you if ANY of these describe your desires and skills:
- you are at the stage of decoding (i.e. reading without understanding) haltingly and want to improve;
- you can recognize most letters and vowels, but not yet comfortably decoding and are comfortable when things are a bit over your head;
- you are comfortable decoding and want to appreciate the beauty of Hebrew — and want a nudge into easy grammar;
- you just want to hang out with Hebrew, letting the experience wash over you.
If you want to beef up your decoding skills along with this class, the work book, Lashon HaKodesh published by Torah Aura, is a fabulous way to do that. Bracha will refer to it using “share screen” when answering questions. If you want to improve your decoding skills, this is the book to get!
PERSONAL NOTE TO YOU FROM BRACHA: This class is designed to be casual and fun. I don’t require or even expect you to practice at home or prepare ahead of time for what we do. We are all busy and come to class with different experiences, learning skills and time available. Perhaps this approach is the most important thing I offer — a corrective emotional experience for those who have struggled with perfectionism. No self-recrimination as the class approaches and you did not study/practice as you’d intended! However, if you are motivated to acquire more skills this class will provide a good structure and incentive.
Time: 7:30pm – 8:15pm (8:30pm for general Hebrew study questions)
Dates: April 25 Ana B’Koach and Limnot Yamenu
Members – $75 for the entire series ($18 per single session)
Non-Members – $90 for the entire series ($21 per single session)
You can sign up for the series or register for each class as a stand-alone
**Classes are being held via Zoom** Close-captioning by request at registration.
*No one turned away for lack of ability to pay; please pay what you can at registration or $0.