- Pray ▾
- Learn ▾
- Invest ▾
- About ▾
- Contact & Location ▾
Folks with White Privilege Affinity Group Meeting
Please email Susan Schulman for the Zoom link: email@example.com.
Any Kehilla connected folks who identify as white, we’d love to have you, whether you’ve ever been to these meetings before or not! We work on de-centering whiteness at Kehilla — so that Kehilla is a more welcoming synagogue for people of color — and on becoming more aware of our own racism in order to dismantle it. At our meetings, we share feelings, build skills through experiential exercises and discuss actions. We also discuss homework articles and videos, which are encouraged-but-not-mandatory, to sharpen our understanding and analysis. These activities help us learn, grow, and build community together, in our work to uproot white supremacy.
The Homework for January 13 is below – highly encouraged but not mandatory — hope to see you Jan. 13!
Penny Rosenwasser and Susan Schulman
HOMEWORK for Jan 13, 2022
This homework is highly encouraged but optional, as always. It should take you a total of 60 minutes.
1. In the Shadow of the Lynching Memorial by Nadine Epstein, 9/21, Moment Magazine, (15 min.)
2. Video: Blue States, You’re the Problem, by Johnny Harris and Binyamin Appelbaum, 11/21, NYT, ( 15 min.) After going to the link, please scroll down a bit to find the video
Thanks to Judith Dambowic for sending this.
3. For Black people, the mental effects of police killings linger, by Minyvonne Burke, 11/21 (8 min.)
4. America’s Jewish Colonizers by Hadas Binyamini, 3/19, Jewish Currents, (7 min.)
5. Witnessing Whiteness–White People, Racial Fear, and Microagressions by Shelly Tochluk, (5 min.)
6. Opinion: Black Voters Want Better Policing, Not Posturing by Progressives, by Nekima Levy Armstrong, 11/21, NYT (5 min.), If you can’t access the link, email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask her to send it to
you! Thanks to Judy Graboyes for this one.
7. Critical race linguistics, by Constance Grady , 6/20, Vox (10 min.)
Thanks to Nikki Sachs for this article.