Kehilla Community Synagogue seeks a detail-oriented and motivated person with a strong work ethic to be an Evening and Weekend Custodian. Excellent relevant custodial experience is required.
The Evening and Weekend Custodian is a part time position working an average of 14 hours per week including 2-3 evenings and some Saturday and Sunday hours. The custodian performs a variety of tasks involving general care of the building and grounds including cleaning, room set-ups and maintenance.
Some of the essential functions of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Routine and special cleaning of all areas within the synagogue, including offices, sanctuary, classrooms, kitchen, restrooms and their fixtures.
- Set up rooms for events and programs with tables and chairs, linens, sound systems, and some AV equipment.
- Operate custodial equipment and maintenance tools and perform floor maintenance tasks including dust-mopping, wet-mopping, sweeping and vacuuming.
- Perform maintenance and minor repairs using hand tools (hammers, screwdrivers, wrenches, painting equipment, etc.) and small power tools. .
- Secure facilities after operating hours by locking doors, closing windows and setting up the alarm.
Experience and Qualifications Needed
- A High School diploma, GED or comparable experience
- 2+ years of custodial duties and light maintenance.
- Strong communication abilities, must be able to read and write in English and to respond to the needs of congregants and renters.
- Ability to work independently and accurately follow instructions.
- Reliable, responsible, and safety-minded.
- Be willing to follow communal policy of being scent free (not using cologne, scented laundry detergent, or other scented products).
- Stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Reach and extend hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
- Repetitive use of hands for grasping, pushing, pulling, and fine manipulation.
- Bend, stoop and kneel to grasp objects and climb ladders.
- Bend and twist neck and waist, reach above and below shoulders and squat.
- Lift and move loads up to 70 pounds. Push and pull carts weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Distance vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Hear well enough to perform essential functions of the job.
Compensation: This is an hourly position paying $20.00 – $22.00 per hour depending on experience. Part time employees earn sick leave in accordance with California law.
Please send a cover letter and a resume of relevant experience to Executive Director Michael Saxe-Taller at email@example.com. No phone calls please. Interviews will commence immediately.