Thousands of unsheltered people live in Oakland. Many are crowded into unsafe and unsanitary encampments from which they may be evicted as a result of the City’s new policies. 70% of the unhoused are Black; 42% have disabilities. Kehilla’s Homeless Action group believes it’s time for a more vigorous response by our community in keeping with our core Jewish values.
How much do you know about homelessness in Oakland? Download our questionnaire and find out!
Please join us on February 2nd for an educational forum and discussion to help develop a vigorous Tikkun Olam response to homelessness. This educational forum will detail the severe obstacles facing our unsheltered neighbors resulting from years of racist and classist policies. There are numerous ways to assist our unhoused neighbors, including donations of time, goods, or money. You can volunteer at different commitment levels, either in person or at home.
Download the event flier A Jewish Call to Action Final.
Talya Husbands-Hankin, Kehilla member and Homeless Advocate of Love and Justice in the Streets
Candice Elder, Founder/Director, East Oakland Collective
Janny Castillo, Director, Community Outreach and Services, St. Mary’s Center
Margot Kushel, MD, Kehilla member and Director, UCSF Center for Vulnerable Populations
The Kehilla community has engaged in advocacy, activism, and direct service in support of the unhoused communities; in the era of COVID we are stepping up this effort.
You will learn how to:
- Work with Kehilla’s Homeless Action Committee
- Volunteer to collect, sort and distribute needed items to homeless encampments
- Assist when an unhoused person takes up residence at Kehilla
- Engage our neighbors on issues of homelessness
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
- Join Homeless Action Committee
- Join the Rapid Response Email listserv for immediate calls to action such as emails/calls to City Councilmembers
- Volunteer to work with the Homeless Action Depot and/or make donations
- Donate to the East Oakland Collective: www.eastoaklandcollective.com
- Donate to Love and Justice in the Street
- Donate to St. Mary’s Center: stmaryscenter.org
- Attend Homeless Advocacy Working Group meetings, every other Monday, 4 – 6 pm