- Pray ▾
- Act ▾
- Learn ▾
- Invest ▾
- About ▾
- Calendars & Communications ▾
- Contact & Location ▾
Please email Susan Schulman for the Zoom link: susanschulman60@gmail.
Any Kehilla – connected folks who identify as white, we’d love to have you, whether you’ve ever been to these meetings before or not! We meet every month to work on decentering white supremacy at Kehilla and working to make Kehilla more welcoming to people of color – we share feelings, build skills, and take actions. This is part of the Belonging & Allyship Initiative.
Here is the homework for our Dec. 16 meeting: not mandatory but enthusiastically encouraged. We discuss it at every meeting. Altogether these should take you about 1 hour & 15 minutes:
1. How Black Voters in Key Cities Helped Deliver the Election for Joe Biden “The fact that we have marched and topped white voter participation and done that while going through voter suppression in new and old forms every year, we are extraordinary,” said organizer LaTosha Brown (co-founder of Black Voters Matter.)…This election “was decided in racially diverse urban centers and increasingly diverse suburbs in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Nevada, Arizona and Georgia. By Janell Ross, 11/7/2020
2. Juan Gonzalez: Mainstream Media Has Missed the Real Story about Latinx Voter Turnout, 11/11/20
3. How Indigenous Voters Swung The 2020 Election. In Arizona and Wisconsin, Native turnout — which often leans liberal — made the difference in Biden’s slim but winning margin. By Anna V. Smith, 11/6/20
(Note: “ A historic six Native candidates will be heading to the U.S. Congress next term, New Mexico has made history by becoming the second state after Hawaii whose delegation to the U.S. House of Representatives will now be made up entirely of women of color, two of whom are Native.”)
4.”A Poem for my White Friends: “I Didn’t Tell You.” By Norma Johnson, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UVIgjuovt8, 7 min., 12/29/13
5. When Diversity Does More Harm Than Good, By S. Rae Peoples, 8/5/19
6. White Jews fled to the suburbs Black Americans could not. Here’s why that matters today
https://www.jweekly.com/2020/06/23/white-jews-fled-to-the-suburbs-black-americans-could-not-heres-why-that-matters-today/, By Hannah Lebovits| June 23, 2020 – (some repetition from the video from last time about housing, but also new info).
Susan Schulman, Penny Rosenwasser & Julie Aronowitz