- Pray ▾
- Act ▾
- Learn ▾
- Invest ▾
- About ▾
- Calendars & Communications ▾
- Contact & Location ▾
Please email Susan Schulman for the Zoom link: email@example.com.
Any Kehilla connected folks who identify as white, we’d love to have you, whether you’ve ever been to these meetings before or not! We work on de-centering whiteness at Kehilla — so that Kehilla is a more welcoming synagogue for people of color — and on becoming more aware of our own racism in order to dismantle it. At our meetings, we share feelings, build skills through experiential exercises and discuss actions. We also discuss homework articles and videos, which are encouraged-but-not-mandatory, to sharpen our understanding and analysis. These activities help us learn, grow, and build community together, in our work to uproot white supremacy.
Homework (see below) is highly encouraged, but not mandatory. We discuss the articles and videos at every meeting.
Penny Rosenwasser and Susan Schulman
Homework for September 23: These should take you about 73 minutes…
1. Housing Discrimination: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO), 7/25/21, 32 min.
John Oliver breaks down the long history of housing discrimination in the U.S., the damage it’s done, and, crucially, what we can do about it. (if you find the presentation annoying, stick with it because the content is important. We have covered this info before — and it bears repeating…)
2. A New Story of Safety, by Carin Mrotz, August 2021, 5 min.
3. Opinion | Learning From Daryl Davis, a Black Man Who Converts KKK Members – NYTtimes.com), 6/26/21, 9 min. Note: if you can’t access this, email firstname.lastname@example.org and she will email it to you.
4. Why Are States Banning Critical Race Theory? By Rashawn Ray and Alexandra Gibbons, 7/26/21, Brookings, 6 min.,
5. My Indigenous Culture is an Act of Resistance, by Siku Allooloo, 9/27/19, YES Magazine, 7 min.
6. Podcast: The Importance of Affinity Spaces, with April Baskin and Tracie Guy-Decker, 14 min. (Thanks to Julie Mills for sending us this.)