Kehilla is organizing a one-day workshop with experienced activists who can help you take effective political action without getting overwhelmed.
The workshop will take place at Kehilla in the Sanctuary, Sunday, April 2 from 4 p.m.to 7 p.m.
After a brief introduction, participants will divide into issue breakout groups, each meeting with an experienced activist. You will learn how you can help with such causes as:
- Vulnerable Populations: Make the United States more welcoming, safer and tolerant by reforming immigration policy and protecting Muslims, Jews, people of color, LGBTQ people and others who are coming under attack.
- Environment: Protect the earth from climate change, preserve clean water, land and air and protect endangered species.
- Healthcare: Ensure that all Americans have access to affordable healthcare and family planning. Current concerns include the Affordable Care Act (ACA), Medicaid, Medicare, women’s health, abortion and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) among others.
- Social Services: Ensure that everyone has the resources and assistance they need to overcome economic and social disadvantages. Current concerns include the Women, Infants and Children (WIC) and Food Stamps (SNAP) programs among others.
- Voting Rights and Voters’ Power:Stop gerrymandering, prevent voter suppression and make use of Tea Party-style lobbying for progressive causes.
- Criminal Justice: Prevent mass incarceration and promote fair policing.
- Civil Liberties: Protect freedom of the press, freedom of assembly, separation of church and state and other constitutional rights.
- Spirituality: Center your activism in your spiritual, emotional and religious practices. Channel your passion for change without burning out.
After meeting in this first round of breakout groups for about half an hour, you will then have one other breakout group opportunity of 30 minutes. Light refreshments will be served.
Please reserve your place at this workshop with an email by 3/15 to Karen at email@example.com. Please put “4/2 Workshop” in the subject line. Also let Karen know if you can help with logistics.